Los arcos argumentales impulsan la narrativa que se desarrolla en un servidor en concreto. Dentro de estos arcos argumentales hay puntos específicos que pueden cambiar para contar diferentes historias basadas en los parámetros del mundo.
- Within the context of these story arcs, there are specific points that they can pivot to tell a different story. That different story can be based on predicates that are in the world: from a player decision standpoint, from a cultural representation standpoint, from situational to which node gets developed. There's a lot of different components that interact with the way the dialogue and narratives play out on a particular server; and what that means is- and I've said this from the beginning many sandbox MMORPGS, they do not create as much curated content as theme-park MMORPGS; and their excuse for doing that is because they incorporate player-driven mechanics. But that's a bit of a cop-out and it's the opposite approach that we've taken with Ashes of Creation; and the reason for that is, if you give the player a door and there's nothing behind that door then opening the door is meaningless. So what we have to do is we have to create a very functional story arc system that provides content in many different ways, but is behind a door of world progress or world development that is then executed by the player population. And that's how we construct our narrative systems. – Steven Sharif
- Decisiones de los jugadores y líneas de misiones personales o de clase .
- Even player driven mechanics will still have story components. There will be a reason why the player driven mechanic is available or required of the player; so every system that's created touches a story. – Steven Sharif
- Every stage a node develops it's unlocking narratives, storylines, it's changing the spawn population of the area around it, changing what bosses exist, it's triggering events where you may have legendary dragons attack the city. It's basically writing the story of the server based on the actions and determination of the players. So, you may experience a dungeon one month earlier and have a completely different story that relates to this location the next month, because something has changed either geopolitically or from the node standpoint. – Steven Sharif
- Los alcaldes necesitan ciertos recursos.
- Los edificios son necesarios dentro de un nodo.
- Es necesario completar las tareas de organización social.
Story arc chapters
- Players can progress a chapter by completing story arc quests within the timeframe that each chapter is active.
- Phase timers are shown (in the quest UI) to indicate how much real-world time is available to complete the quests in each phase.
- If the player completes all quests in a particular chapter, they will need to wait until the next chapter to obtain further quests.
- Story arcs can branch into different stories with multiple possible endings depending on the quest objectives that players complete during each chapter.
- It's not just a matter of completing the laundry list of things that the NPC has you do, but you pick from a whole bunch of objectives, many of them optional. Some of them, if not most of them, hidden when you first undertake the quest. So go dig up a guide, or blaze your own trail, or whatever; but depending on which objectives you complete, those are the things that help the server aggregate what is going to happen in later phases of the story arc. And that's across all of the players participating during that time frame: what objectives they decide to complete. – Skott B
- Story arcs can last for days, which reduces pressure to log in daily to remain competitive.
- Story arcs normally progress according to the passage of real-time, which is clearly indicated in your quest journals. Even if a zerg guild throws all their resources at a story arc, they can't lock anyone out of participating by doing all the participation on their own. You'll have the time indicated in your quest journal to finish the content available in that chapter. – Skott B
- Most story arcs will repeat with a cooldown, but major story arcs will only occur one-time: These can be replayed, but in a non-interactive way where any choices made do not impact the world.
- The cooldowns between arcs repeating will also be quite long- proportional to the length of the chapters, but we're still in pursuit of the right numbers there. You can't do the individual quests again until the entire arc restarts. – Skott B
Misiones de la historia
- La posibilidad de volver a intentar una misión fallida depende de la progresión del nodo.
- Las misiones que implican a ciudadanos de diferentes nodos se desbloquean en función de las allianzas así como otras relaciones entre nodos y su progresión.
- Las misiones pueden variar en función de la fase actual de los nodos cercanos, la influencia de la estación, y de eventos como jefes de mundo.
There will be many different quests that actually have stages of the storyline; and these stages can actually be failed. You can actually fail a storyline; which sucks when you think about it, but at the same time that risk makes your investment that much more important. – Steven Sharif
Story arc rewards
- Rewards will be balanced over multiple story arc branches to avoid a "meta", where certain branches provide universally better loot than others.
- We, as much as humanly possible, want to have balanced rewards whenever there are branches and avoid having one branch in a story arc have rewards that are universally better than the other rewards in other branches. Like quests in most other MMOs, story arcs will never provide best-in-slot loot, as that is the purview of other game systems (look to crafters, raids, etc for that). I'd consider the system functioning well if players are more concerned with the state of the world or PoI they're working around than the explicit loot rewards. – Skott B
- Rewards will not provide best-in-slot loot, which is intended to be gained through other systems, such as crafting and raids.
- These systems are story- and lore-first. They interface with other systems for sure, but they aren't the best way to gain experience, gold or character power. If we accidentally lock something extremely valuable behind a single branch of a single storyline, then that'll be a mistake on our part. The cursed spiritbloom that we talked about in the livestream is available throughout the duration of the story arc regardless of the branches players take, for example. – Skott B
List of story arcs
- Dead Trees with Ghost Leaves
- Harrower Moon
- Relic of War
- The Blood Still Due
- The Enemy Within
- The Minotaurs
- The Pilgrim's Problem
- The Priestess and the Piper
- There is of course a meta-story. That meta-story gets informed by regional stories and regional outcomes; and depending on how players progress within their personal stories, that could be either racially based or could be their class-based. They could be a per-node basis. All of those things support a grand structure of the meta-narrative. – Steven Sharif
Narrativa impulsada por el jugador
El mundo de Verra será el mismo en cada servidor, pero los Nodos se desarrollarán de forma diferente. Cada servidor tendrá diferentes narrativas. Las cosas que sucedan en un servidor pueden no suceder en otro.
- La narrativa deneral de Ashes of Creation es que los jugadores son los hijos de Verra que regresan, pero no serán considerados de forma individual como "salvadores"..
We want as many people as possible to experience the main server Narrative. These will branch at different scales, but largely at the personal level. Where things change is at the Node level – different parts of the story will be unlocked based on where and when Nodes grow. Unlocking a part of the story in a certain way locks out progression of the story in a different way. You’ll see different antagonists, different NPCs, and different calls to action depending on what’s happening with the server at that time.
It redefines what the players will experience in an MMORPG to come into a wilderness that is devoid of really any structure outside of what the community creates themselves; and then what can be created can be changed, if they want to experience a storyline that's been seen on another server, but you're fighting a dragon because you're near a mountain and the other server's fighting a Kraken because they're near the coast and you want to fight that Kraken because of its drop table. If you want to meta it or because you just want that under your belt: to be the server first to take out that Kraken and you have yet to develop the node there, it's incumbent upon you to manifest that in the game. – Steven Sharif
Eventos de historia
- Es posible que algunos arcos argumentales se desarrollen hacia un destino más oscuro/malvado, si un personaje así lo elige.
Historia en el servidor
- We're gonna keep track of the history of the world so that we can tell people the story up to the current day. A player who's brand new, who's come in at the six-month mark can take a look at each server, what each server has done, how each server has tackled the storyline; and they can decide for themselves what community they want to join; what version of the world that they want to take part in. – Jeffrey Bard
- Los escribas pueden recopilar y registrar información sobre los acontecimientos del mundo tal y como los han vivido y desde su punto de vista.
- Forums - Dev Discussion #49 - Lore Characters.
- Transmisión en vivo, 2022-04-29 (1:05:37).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2022-03-31 (1:15:29).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2018-01-18 (39:08).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2019-05-30 (1:18:16).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2017-05-26 (15:37).
- Vídeo, 2018-04-05 (35:01).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2017-10-31 (29:50).
- Vídeo, 2023-01-27 (9:43).
- Vídeo, 2023-03-31 (12:47).
- Vídeo, 2023-03-31 (6:30).
- Vídeo, 2023-03-31 (14:20).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2023-04-07 (58:39).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2023-03-31 (49:32).
- Vídeo, 2023-03-31 (25:20).
- Entrevista, 2018-10-20 (2:36:25).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2020-07-25 (1:50:20).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2021-03-26 (1:12:51).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2017-05-19 (37:03).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2019-12-17 (1:10:30).
- Interview: Ashes of Creation on Building Their Virtual World, 2017-04-13.
- Transmisión en vivo, 2017-05-22 (28:02).
- Types of Events on Verra.
- Transmisión en vivo, 2017-05-26 (15:37).
- Kickstarter packages.
- Blog: Know Your Nodes - Scientific Node Type
- Entrevista, 2018-04-20 (9:20).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2017-05-26 (51:37).