- Personal quest lines.
- Cultural quest lines.
- Regional quest lines.
All of the events are based around storytelling. All of the the narrative quests are based around storytelling. All the organizational quests are based around storytelling. You know the game is built from a story basically, so we want to make sure that there's context and relevancy for all of the actions that you're doing in the game. – Jeffrey Bard
Even player driven mechanics will still have story components. There will be a reason why the player driven mechanic is available or required of the player; so you know every system that's created touches a story. – Steven Sharif
Every stage a node develops it's unlocking narratives, storylines, it's changing the spawn population of the area around it, changing what bosses exist, it's triggering events where you may have legendary dragons attack the city. It's basically writing the story of the server based on the actions and determination of the players. So, you may experience a dungeon one month earlier and have a completely different story that relates to this location the next month, because something has changed either geopolitically or from the node standpoint. – Steven Sharif
- Mayors require certain resources.
- Buildings are required within a node.
- Social organization tasks need to be completed.
- It is possible for some storylines to relate to a darker/evil path, if a character should choose.
We're keeping lore very close to the chest and the reason for that is because it is very rich. It is diverse. It will have applications outside of just the MMORPG. We intend to take it much further, but I want it to be something that the players get to reveal themselves, that's not just handed to them and then the experience is lost. They should feel when they're experiencing this that it relates to them on a personal level. – Steven Sharif
It is about mythology and discovering what truths mythologies are talking about and finding out what really happened on this world so long ago; and that's part of that discovery process; and we want people to feel that throughout the game, not just in terms of lore but in terms of the world itself. – Jeffrey Bard
- The ability to retry a failed quest depends on Node progression.
- Misiones involving citizens from multiple nodes are unlocked based on the alliances and other relationships between the nodes and their progression.
There will be many different quests that actually have stages of the storyline; and these stages can actually be failed. You can actually fail a storyline; which sucks when you think about it, but at the same time that risk makes your investment that much more important. – Steven Sharif
Es posible que hayan distintas versiones de la misión que existe para razas específicas; e incluso si se comparte una misión para eliminar un jefe, si tú eres humano y yo soy un elfo, yo podría tener un arco de misión que me lleva en una dirección distinta del tuyo, aunque hayamos tomado la misma misión. Y dependiendo de quién sea el principal contribuyente cultural del nodo, se abrirán nuevos arcos para las culturas que compartan raza con estos contribuyentes. No es que queramos bloquear contenido, sino que queremos darle más sabor a las misiones para que no sean todas iguales. – Steven Sharif
La raza importa porque las distintas narrativas del juego se ven influenciadas por la cultura de los principales contribuyentes de un nodo... Si eres un Niküa y te encuentras en un nodo predominantemente Niküa, tendrás acceso a ciertos servicios o habilidades que los miembros de las otras razas no. Ellos podrían tener misiones alternativas, pero no específicas para su raza. Las misiones específicas de los Niküa estarán relacionadas a la meta-narrativa presente en el mundo y ellos podrán dirigir parte de esa narrativa. Esto será beneficioso para su raza, porque podrán desbloquear cierto contenido al cual las demás razas no tendrán acceso aún. Así que hay un fuerte incentivo de progresión por esa línea. – Steven Sharif
Player driven narrative
The world of Verra will be the same on each server, but Nodos will develop differently. Different servers will have different narratives. Things that happen on one server may not happen on another.
We want as many people as possible to experience the main server Narrative. These will branch at different scales, but largely at the personal level. Where things change is at the Node level – different parts of the story will be unlocked based on where and when Nodes grow. Unlocking a part of the story in a certain way locks out progression of the story in a different way. You’ll see different antagonists, different NPCs, and different calls to action depending on what’s happening with the server at that time.
It kind of redefines what the players will experience in an MMORPG to come into a wilderness that is devoid of really any structure outside of what the community creates themselves; and then what can be created can be changed, if they want to experience a storyline that's been seen on another server, but you know you're fighting a dragon because you're near a mountain and the other server's fighting a Kraken because they're near the coast and you want to fight that Kraken because of its drop table. If you want to meta it or because you just want that under your belt: to be the server first to take out that Kraken and you have yet to develop the node there, you know it's incumbent upon you to manifest that in the game. – Steven Sharif
We're gonna keep track of the history of the world so that we can tell people the story up to the current day. A player who's brand new, who's come in at the six-month mark can take a look at each server, what each server has done, how each server has tackled the storyline; and they can decide for themselves what community they want to join; what version of the world that they want to take part in. – Jeffrey Bard
- Historial of narrative events and when they occurred.
- Locations and last known quantity of gatherable resources.
- Locations and inhabitants of new dungeons or POIs (points of Interest) that have spawned.
- Runic power stones for armor.
- Common armor and weapon recipes (level 25 and under).
There is a small RNG chance of looting rare and legendary items or crafting materials from mobs based on the level, status and type of mob. This also applies to harvesting resources with a gathering profession.
- There is a much higher chance that materials and unique recipes are dropped that can be used to craft items of equitable value.
- Legendary equipment is only dropped by Legendary world bosses.
At each stage from Gatherer to Processor to Crafter you are required to have certain prerequisites before those elite types of materials can be essentially gathered, processed, or crafted. – Steven Sharif
- Gatherers must have high quality tools to gather rare resources.
- Processors must have high tier processing buildings on their freehold to produce rare materials.
- Crafters must also satisfy certain prerequisites to craft legendary equipment.
The amount of effort needed and interdependencies across the different types of players – between raiders and PvPers and crafters and even role players and the taverns and businesses: the processors and gatherers – all of those systems will likely have a component that lends toward creating or crafting that legendary item... We want to stay away from the highly RNGd system, and instead take our multiple progression paths that we are offering the players and put the construction components for achieving these legendary items within them so it encourages communities to work together because it's going to be difficult for just one person by themselves to gather everything. Not to say that they couldn't in an economic sense, by buying those components, that's possible. But achieving them from a time investment standpoint we want it to be considerably less RNG focussed. – Steven Sharif
There are absolutely legendary items and they're not items that are attained easily nor are they granted out in a volume. There might even be items that are single items that will exist on the server at any given time.
It will be a very ornate and detailed weapon, more so than any other weapon or piece of equipment in the game. It will also include some awesome looking effects that won't too gaudy, you know they won't be too bright and shiny so that it doesn't look good, but they will be subtle and people will notice it and know wow that guy has this weapon. – Steven Sharif
Legendary items are not intended to be temporary.
The fact there is only one of them... or very very few of them depending on what it is. I think that in and of itself is a balance component right and you need to make sure that the players who are striving for those legendary things and who are devoting the time energy, resources in order to achieve them are accurately rewarded... We do not intend on having legendary items that are temporary. – Steven Sharif
- Transmisión en vivo, 2018-01-18 (39:08).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2019-05-30 (1:18:16).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2019-12-17 (1:10:30).
- Vídeo, 2018-04-05 (35:01).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2017-10-31 (29:50).
- Ashes of Creation Press Kit.
- Interview, 7 December 2016.
- Transmisión en vivo, 2017-05-26 (15:37).
- Vídeo, 2018-04-05 (37:50).
- Vídeo, 2018-04-05 (37:13).
- Entrevista, 2018-10-20 (2:36:25).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2020-07-25 (1:50:20).
- Podcast, 2018-04-23 (29:56).
- Entrevista, 2018-05-11 (1:00:19).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2019-07-26 (1:13:23).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2017-05-15 (20:58).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2017-05-08 (50:32).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2017-05-19 (37:03).
- Interview: Ashes of Creation on Building Their Virtual World, 13 April 2017.
- Transmisión en vivo, 2017-05-22 (28:02).
- Entrevista, 2018-04-20 (9:20).
- Blog: Know Your Nodes - Scientific Node Type
- Entrevista, 2020-07-18 (1:00:15).
- Entrevista, 2020-07-19 (8:43).
- Entrevista, 2020-07-20 (21:57).
- Transmisión en vivo, 8 April 2018 (PM) (55:49).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2020-07-25 (46:08).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2017-05-19 (44:18).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2017-05-15 (38:08).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2018-07-09 (25:34).
- Transmisión en vivo, 8 April 2018 (PM) (51:49).