Pilares del diseño
- Historia atractiva y envolvente
- Mundo reactivo
- Interacción entre jugadores
- Impacto de los jugadores
- Riesgo vs recompensa
In designing Ashes of Creation, we adhere every detail to five main pillars: Engaging and Immersive Story, a Reactive World, Player Interaction, Player Agency, and Risk vs Reward. Even in the environment, everything you as the player do will tie into these pillars, while everything your guild does, everything your server does will ultimately keep the world fresh, ever-changing, and most importantly... exciting.
Ashes of Creation is a unique take on the MMO experience. Our world structure is dynamic and built to react to the actions of our players. Cities will rise and fall, their populations based on the history of the world as the players create it. Quests will unlock as these populations gather, their needs grow, and secrets are unlocked. As the world’s NPC structure is established in real time, players will have the ability to destroy what they’ve created, paving the way for new development, new populations, and real change. Political strife and intrigue will play a very real role in the structure of your world. Gone are the days of static worlds, change is here to stay.
- We will refine systems, we will iterate on systems, but we will never change the core identity of the intent and philosophical approach to what Ashes of Creation as an MMO brings to the MMO genre space... What we want to do is express that Ashes of Creation is endeavoring to build a risk-versus-reward centric PvX style game. And that intent and purpose will be delivered upon, and it will not change. – Steven Sharif
- El nombre original de Ashes of Creation fue The World of Origins.
- Los desarrolladores esperan en el lanzamiento alrededor de un millón de usuarios concurrentes.
When it comes to how MMO’s have been traditionally designed, most gamers are familiar with two distinct types of gameplay loops: the “theme park”, and the “sandbox”. The vast majority of MMO’s we’ve all seen come and go in the gaming industry have been of the theme park variety – these games put the player onto a specific path, guiding them along, with plenty of pretty sights in between the same old quest hubs, very little in divergent paths, virtually no freedom in player progression. Recently the MMO genre has seen some games of the sandbox nature come onto the scene, but despite the ultimate freedom the sandbox affords players, many are left wanting more, as there is by definition no pre built world content, no human touch, just the vastness of the “sand” for lack of a better term. Thus many MMO players often find themselves caught between the repetitive rock of the theme park or the vast dead spaces of the sandbox’s hard place. This chasm between the state of MMO gameplay loops is where we intend to inject Ashes of Creation’s Node system.
In order for sandbox mechanics to mean something, there must be curated content to accompany the player’s choices. Which means, as the developers, we must create that Themebox style content but for every possible path the community may take. – Steven Sharif
- In terms of what came before, we're trying to figure out who did what best and take inspiration from that: Move the genre forward; keep things updated and bring it into the 21st century. – Jeffrey Bard
- Eve Online, con su economía por regiones y el riesgo vs recompensa en el transporte de caravanas.
- ArcheAge, con sus sistemas de construcción, transporte and combate naval.
- Star Wars Galaxies, con su sistema de crafting.
- Lineage II, con su sistema de riesgo vs recompensa, asedios a castillos, flageo de jugadores, PvP de mundo abierto y progresión de guilds.
- A lot of the systems in Lineage 2 were based around a concept that got lost today in mmorpgs, and that's risk versus reward. You know this idea that the more you risk the greater potential reward should be present is a complete paradigm shift away from everyone's a winner, everybody gets a participation reward, and here you go, congratulations you're a player in this game; and that's boring. It gives nothing for a person to aspire to achieve something, or to feel the bite of loss when you fail. Those are the driving forces of why people want to play games and it's a reason why new games when they come out have such a short lifespan, because they are always competing with WOW. You don't have to compete with WOW. You don't have to be a WOW killer. You can focus on something that is different from a philosophical design standpoint; and I think that's just what a lot of studios today don't want to take the risk on. – Steven Sharif
Part of the whole experience with nodes is that there is no real end-game, in that the world is constantly shifting every day. Month one is going to be really different from month two; and that's for the level 50s and level 1s. – Jeffrey Bard
We want the game to be a living game, which means that all content should be relevant at all times. I’d say that we try to make as little distinction between the leveling up experience and the end game experience as possible. The whole journey is important to us, in order to maximize the fun people have during different stages of the game. – Sarah Flanagan
Historia interesante y envolvente.
Aspectos que reflejan el pasado y el presente de Verra.
- Clases, Arquetipos, Roles
- Razas, Religiones
- Habilidades, Aumentos
- Lore, Arcos de historia
- Roleo, Animaciones Sociales
- Mapa Mundial, Punto de Interes, Clima
- Ambientes, Reino Subterráneo, Reino Submarino
Puntos que describen cómo evoluciona el mundo de Verra según la actividad del jugador.
- Nodos | Tipo de Nodos | Etapas de Nodo | Zona de influencia
- Economia | Puestos de Jugador | Casa de Subastas
- Clases de artesanos | Recolección | Procesado | Elaboración (Crafting)
- Misiones | Eventos | Tareas
- Naval | Combate Naval | Barcos
- Jefes de Mundo | Monedas de monstruo
- Entornos destruibles
Ashes of Creation will be a living, breathing, reactive world. Your actions will shape the Zones of Influence, leveling Nodes to form massive Cities, and create the story of the world that everyone experiences. – Margaret Krohn
Interacción del jugador
Sistemas de juego y mecánicas que fomentan la interacción del jugador.
- Calabozo, Redadas, Combate
- Gremios, Sala del gremio, Fortalezas del gremio, Castillos del gremio
- Dinámica de grupo, Saqueo
- Organizasiones Sociales
- Juegos de salón
Decidimos centrarnos en la mecánica que pone en primer plano la idea de comunidad. Para que las personas interactúen entre sí de manera significativa, no solo para conquistar a un jefe de incursión, o para obtener una moneda de una casa de subastas sin rostro, sino para salvar una ciudad. Una ciudad en la que todos los residentes locales tenían una participación. Una ciudad que los jugadores habían pasado semanas o meses desarrollando; ¡La defensa de esa ciudad, el ataque a esa ciudad! O construir un mundo juntos como comunidad eligiendo nuestro propio destino con nuestros amigos. Creemos que será una historia mucho más memorable y mucho más significativa para los jugadores que cualquier cosa que se nos ocurra.
Impacto de los jugadores
Son los sistemas que evolucionan y dan forma a las experiencias de los jugadores en el juego.
- Armas, Armadura
- Progresion, Leveleo
- Alojamiento, Nodos de Alojamiento, Apartamentos, Parcelas
- Monturas, Mulas, Dragones
- Creador de Personajes, Apariencia de Equipo
- Cosméticos, skins, Apariencias, Accesorios
- Inventario, Consumibles
We will have a lot of content that is available, but those will be behind doors that are accessible through agency on behalf of the community. In a traditional sense, no we are not a theme-park, however we will probably have more content than a theme-park does, traditionally. Just because, in order for those choices to be meaningful, there must be meaningful content behind the door you choose. – Steven Sharif
Riesgo versus recompensa
Actividades que premian a los aventureros osados y que fomentan conflictos significativos.
- Mundo PvP, Caravanas, Guerras de gremios
- Ataques de nodos, Ataques de castillo
- Corrupcion de Jugador, Cazadores de Recompensas
- Logros, Tablas de clasificación, Salas de trofeos
- Exploración, Caza de tesoros
- Stock exchange
The risk versus reward relationship, when, say for instance, you've dedicated time towards building a node and other players have dedicated that equivalent time towards sieging the node, there's going to be a pitched battle between those players... They spend that time doing this because they care passionately about having access to that content. – Steven Sharif
- Q: Are there any mechanics or systems that you wanted to add to the game but haven't because you wanted to ensure that your development schedule stays on track? And if so, what are they?
- A: There's a lot. We- generally when we're doing our internal meetings and reviews and a great idea comes up, we throw it in the backlog post-launch. That's our- generally our MO when it comes to great ideas. Because the reality is, as we continue to go through features, we develop those features, we test those features and iterate on those features, a lot of new ideas and opportunities come about for the team to think about. Well, wouldn't it be great if this feature actually did this and interacted with another feature over here that did this. And so we're trying to make sure that another feature over here did this. And in some situations we'll evaluate and determine whether or not that type of interaction is really necessary to demonstrate what the core loop of a particular system might be trying to demonstrate and we'll make the changes necessary. But in the majority of cases, we try to stay cognizant of, hey, here is our MVP necessary list of core integrated systems in order to achieve the identity of the game that we're in the core gameplay loops that we want players to experience. And we work towards that end from a launch perspective; and anything that's added that sounds good, or we want to incorporate, we throw it into the expansion bucket. There's an opportunity for us to- we need stuff obviously for us to expand upon and for us to continue development post-launch, so that's generally our MO with regards to new ideas and stuff. – Steven Sharif
- Transmisión en vivo, 2021-01-29 (46:48).
- Ashes of Creation MMO.
- A reactive world - Nodes.
- Transmisión en vivo, 2022-10-28 (32:52).
- Pódcast, 2021-04-11 (46:44).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2022-10-14 (37:10).
- MMOGames interview, January 2017
- Entrevista, 2018-08-24 (8:35).
- Entrevista, 2020-07-29 (9:02).
- Vídeo, 2018-04-05 (40:08).
- February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- Dillias diary.
- Transmisión en vivo, 2018-02-09 (33:50).
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - The Basics.
- Transmisión en vivo, Enero 18 2018 (16:34).
- Transmisión en vivo, Febrero 9 2018 (4:42).
- Vídeo, Febrero 24 2018 (0:01).
- Ashes of Creation - Un Nuevo Comienzo.
- Transmisión en vivo, 2019-09-27 (50:01).
- Transmisión en vivo, Abril 8 2018 (AM) (27:26).
- Vídeo, 2017-07-16 (0:01).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2022-10-28 (13:53).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2017-05-22 (38:44).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2017-05-03 (11:33).
- Transmisión en vivo, 2023-04-07 (1:22:39).